Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Girlfriends...

With a title like that, I could be writing about so many different things. Tonight, I wanted to simply say how PROUD I am of my Girlfriends who have taken on the challenge to complete a half-marathon with me this fall!

The "Girlfriend's Half Marathon" is held in Vancouver, WA every year in mid-October. I have done this race twice. The first time was in 2009. I was by myself, and at mile 7 my IT Band gave out on me and I walked the rest of it. My family was there to cheer me on, but I felt like I let them and myself down. I was determined to do it again. My goal for the 2010 Girlfriend's was to RUN the whole thing. I didn't care what my time was. I also convinced a few of my friends to sign up and meet me there. What a different experience! I supported and cheered on my friends Laura, Ruann, Michelle, and Beth who all ran it much faster than me. :-) I ran with my friend, Marianne, the whole race. We checked our time at each mile, and kept our pace just under 10 minute miles. Amazing for me, as I did not expect to be able to keep that pace. I couldn't have done it without Marianne there pushing me. It amazed me how different I felt with the support of my friends, in addition to my family (there with signs this time..."Go Stroller Moms!") Post race was so much fun! Celebrating our accomplishment, eating great food, laughing, limping, hugging... I couldn't wait to do it again! And I vowed I would bring back even MORE Girlfriend's the next year!

Until about a month ago, I was the only person I knew registered for this year's Girlfriend's Half. Registration had come and gone, and the race was filled up. Then they opened it up again...and I got to work! Nothing like a little peer pressure and relentless facebooking to convince a few friends to sign up for a race. ;-) A few turned into a few more...and now we have an amazing team of moms signed up to run a HALF MARATHON! The best part? This will be the first half marathon for most of these women. I'm so excited for them! I'm so excited for US!

I am so proud of these women for believing in themselves. Believing that anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and have the support of your family and your Girlfriends. That's what this race is about. I am looking forward to our training runs this fall. But most of all, I am looking forward to sharing this experience with so many of my Girlfriends once again. Congratulations to all of you for believing in yourself, and taking on the challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! And Loved your comment. So cool! Maybe I'll meet you there next year!

    ReplyDelete